February 03, 2020

...(book review) the boy, the mole, the fox and the horse by charlie mackesy


The boy, the mole, the fox and the horse are four friends who share a deep, unshakable bond. Through a series of brief, but profound conversations, Mackesy teases universal truths and rich wisdoms from the mouths of his characters, celebrating warmth and empathy in all its myriad forms.

THE BOY, THE MOLE, THE FOX AND THE HORSE by Charlie Mackesy
Published: 2019
Genre: Fiction
My rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

When considering starting a blog, I'd always known that I wanted to write some book reviews on here, especially since I've challenged myself to reading 50 books this year, and therefore am going to have a fair few pass through my fingers.

This wasn't the first book that I read this year, but it is one that I absorbed in the space of an evening. THE BOY, THE MOLE, THE FOX AND THE HORSE by Charlie Mackesy.

This book embraces you with warm and loving arms from the very first page. I believe I described it to my family as 'Winnie The Pooh' for adults, and I hope I cause no offense to the author by that comparison. It's the beautiful innocence of the characters and the worldly wisdom they somehow possess at the same time.
The author himself writes that he'd "like it to be one you can dip into anywhere, anytime" and I love that concept; the idea that you could pick this book up and flip to any page and feel the comfort of its words without needing to have read the rest of the story. It means that this is a book I can see myself coming back to over and over again throughout the year. Already it's beginning to look a little worn and dog-eared (which is exactly the way a well-loved book should look, by the way.)

There is something so honest and touching about it that I found myself crying over numerous pages and illustrations. They're simply beautiful, and now I want one framed by my desk.

I think there's something so clever about this author and illustrator. He's created a work that represents people of all ages. You could hand it to a child, or an adult of any age, and be confident that they would be able to relate to something within its pages.

I'm going to keep this review short and sweet because I don't wish to spoil anything in the book's contents for future readers - but be assured, I thoroughly recommend.

~ Zuzu

#bookreview #charliemackesy #theboythemolethefoxandthehorse #fiction

3 comments:

  1. This book sounds so beautiful ... I'll definitely give it a read 💚

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please do, and let me know what you think! I like a good discussion about books ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful review and gorgeous writing Emma! I'll definitely add this book to my list X

    ReplyDelete