October 26, 2020

...black cats; not just for witches #nationalblackcatday

Caught in the act!
Apologies everyone for the off topic blog that you are about to read, this one is neither bookish or fantasy based, but it is a topic close to my heart 🤍
Since tomorrow is #nationalblackcatday, and I have two stunning specimens that I adopted 7 years ago, I felt it was only fitting to devote them some special, much warranted attention both here in this blog and across social media.

Every October 27th, Cats Protection has its NATIONAL BLACK CAT DAY - aiming to raise awareness to the plight of black cats in adoption centres who tend to lose out on homes to more "colourful" or "unusual" breeds.

On average, black cats take 13% longer to find a home than cats of other colours. 
The UK's leading feline welfare charity currently has 1,300 black cats in its care at this moment. 

There are many myths surrounding black cats that date back to the middle ages when they came to be associated with witches as their companions or familiars. 
Some consider them bad luck, some say good. 
The good stems from Sailors taking black cats aboard ships, not to catch mice, but because they were considered good omens.
Even this positive association is silly superstition.
The plain truth is, black cats are just like any other. Sure, they don't photograph too well, and some argue it's this that makes them unpopular in this day and age of social media. I greatly hope this supercilious attitude is not the reason they're unpopular. If it's simply based on colour, then people don't know what they're missing. My cats are black and they have the most colourful personalities you will ever come across.

When I was looking for cats, I had only two requirements:
1. they must be rescued
2. they must be black (I desired a witch's cat to be my companion - superstition be damned)

I guarantee that about 30% of the cats I saw in animal shelters were black. I had so much choice in the rescue centres. No one seemed to want them, and I cannot fathom why!! Every single one was a sweetie!
I searched all my local rescue centres, (listed below because I strongly advise adoption from reputable shelter):
Cats Protection (multiple locations)
RSPCA (multiple locations)
Battersea (multiple locations)
Last Chance Animal Rescue in Edenbridge
Rolvenden Cat Rescue in Cranbrook
The Retreat Animal Rescue in High Halden
Foal Farm in Biggin Hill
...and many more! Run a google search in your area if you're looking to adopt!

The cats I saw at these locations were amazing, but not the right fit for my situation. There can be any number of reasons, but please don't be discouraged if you aren't allowed to adopt a certain cat - you just need to find the right match.

And eventually, I did.

Introducing my rescue moggies, Molly and Leo, a brother and sister who had already been rehomed once as kittens, before ending up for adoption once more.

I should stress that I went looking for one witchy cat. Of course, I got two. Who could resist? 
A witchy cat is intensely desirable to someone who writes fantasy fiction. Not to mention the fact that they're generally sleek and beautiful with hauntingly vivid eyes. So much character without their personalities even coming into play.
Molly (left) Leo (right)
Now informally known in my house as the Kray Twins
Molly (behind) Leo (in front)
The Kray Twins strike again!
Lovely Leo 

Miss Molly in a bag...not unusual
Molly helping wrap Christmas presents...

Molly is my firecracker. She loves on her own terms, prefers boxes and gift bags to comfy beds, resembles a black puddle when she lays down, eats her brother's food before her own, and is notorious for once having gotten a tea pot stuck on her head.

Leo is my fur-baby. He loves unconditionally, greets me at the door when I come home from work, hates my laptop because it monopolises my lap space, keeps me company when blogging, reading and writing, and jealously guards me from his sister when she deigns to show me love.

Although these qualities are humorous and unique to my pets, they are also not unusual cat traits and they're certainly not reserved for black cats alone.
My point being that black cats should not be boycotted. They should be embraced and loved like any other.

I hope with this blog I'll change some opinions, or maybe just reinforce your existing love of black cats.

To summarise:
Black cats are not evil.
They are not unlucky.
They are not reserved for the companionship of witches only...although...

Remember everyone, a black cat is for life, not just for Halloween!
To conclude: Adopt more BLACK CATS please!

Zuzu 🖋
find me and my cats on social media: Instagram Facebook Twitter Pinterest













For those who may be wondering, I adopted my kit-cats from the Medway Cat Trust, and I'm sad to say that when I tried to link their details here, I found that they're no longer in operation!!
So a message for Hazel Charlesworth of the former Medway Cat Trust - if you ever happen to read this blog, I thank you so sincerely for pairing me with Molly and Leo. You changed my life and theirs. -They are ten-year-old, spoilt, pampered self-made house cats now! They literally don't want to go outside unless it is to pathetically hunt me a moth (of all things) and then retire to their bed exhausted...and by their bed, I clearly mean my bed, which they have claimed as their own! Typical cats!

1 comment:

  1. Awww I love this blog and LOVE black cats, thanks for highlighting how beautiful they are. Beautiful photos of your furbabies x

    ReplyDelete