November 16, 2020

...books to feel festive with

When the weather outside is frightful and the fire is so delightful, and since we've no place (you know, we're in lockdown)...let there be books!
There is nothing I like better than curling up under the comfort of a good book once the weather turns cold. Even better if it's a seasonal read.

We're halfway through November, and I am unapologetically one of those people that has already transitioned into Christmas, if only in spirit. The decorations are not yet up, but they are standing by, as is my TO READ pile for December.

I love Winter. The scents, the food, the music, the hustle and bustle; the general feeling of warmth and joy and love that's spread as we creep closer to December and to Christmas-time. I know some people dread this time of year, and I understand why. It puts stress and strain on people, both mentally and financially, but it shouldn't have to. For me, it's genuinely enough to sit back and enjoy the perks of the season: to snatch a rare moment to hunker down and read a book under a chunky-knit blanket with a hot chocolate, or to sit down with my family and work our way through the abundance of Christmas films we've collected over the years, 

Like Santa, December is normally my busiest time of year for work, and I don't have as much down time to devote to reading. Normally this means I re-read some seasonal favourites, rather than trying committing to new books and authors. So, I thought I'd share some pre-emptive festive/winter favourites here with you all:

THE SNOW CHILD by Eowyn Ivey (2011)
This was such an incredible book, inspired by a Russian fairy tale, and transplanted into the bleak and icy landscape of 1920 Alaska. A mysterious child appears on Mabel and Jack's land, and disappears into the snow. There's a sense of hope and foreboding that keeps this book chilling in every respect.

THE WAY PAST WINTER by Kiran Millwood Hardgrave (2018)
I love any Kiran Millwood Hardgrave book, and this one was like my gateway drug. I loved the concept of a whole land shrouded in Winter and Spring being this unattainable place where all the men have been taken. 

A CHRISTMAS CAROL by Charles Dickens (1843)
A classic. The epitome of Christmas. "God bless us, every one!"

MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET by Valerie Davies (1947)
I have such a beautiful little copy of this book and I love re-visiting it. It's a novella based on the story the author wrote for the 1947 film Miracle on 34th Street, which is equally classic and oh so festive.

LITTLE WOMEN by Louisa May Alcott (1868)
Another classic novel with such feel good festive spirit. I love watching adaptations of this book this time of year too. They make me feel so warm and cosy.

THE NUTCRACKER AND THE MOUSE KING by E.T.A Hoffmann (1816)
I love the original version of The Nutcracker. It's such a Christmassy story and a short easy fairy-tale read.

NORTHERN LIGHTS by Phillip Pullman (1995)
This is the 1st book in one of my favourite book series and the ice and snow of the north that makes up the setting for much of the first book makes me feel wintery.
I'm thinking of re-reading these books actually to keep up with the BBC adaptation that's currently in its second season.

THE BEAR AND THE NIGHTINGALE by Katherine Arden (2017)
This is a book I've yet to read and might just sneak its way onto my December TBR pile. It's been so highly recommended to me and I've been saving it!

THE GIRL WITH GLASS FEET by Ali Shaw (2011)
This is a book filled with ice and magic that makes it perfect for winter. After visiting an enchanted island, Ida MacLaird begins literally turning to glass. Whilst searching for the man she believes will cure her, she finds herself falling in love. This was such an unusual book concept.

I hope this list gives you some reading ideas for November and December. Let me know what your favourites are!

Zuzu 🖊

1 comment:

  1. You've reminded me that I have read some of these titles and they were amazing. Great list of recommendations as always, thank you xxx

    ReplyDelete