December 14, 2020

...(book review) havenfall by sara holland

Maddie Morrow knows that HAVENFALL is more than it seems. Beneath this beautiful sprawling inn lies the hidden gateways to three ancient realms:
BRYN, FIORDENKILL and SOLARIA.
Maddie's destiny is here, rooted in her family's promise to protect the fragile alliance between the worlds.
But when a brutal murder shatters the peace and someone she loves stands accused, Maddie must step forward to protect the place - and the people - she cares for most.
Her safe haven will never be the same again. 

HAVENFALL by Sara Holland
Published: 2020
Genre: YA Fiction, Fantasy Fiction, Magical Realism
My rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Havenfall by Sara Holland is a unique, YA fantasy novel full of betrayal, shifting alliances, mystery, mercy and magic realms. Three magic realms to be exact: Fiordenkill, Bryn, and the sealed and excommunicated Solaria - the doorways to which are all housed in Haven - otherwise know as Earth - a neutral zone, and a hub for all allied realms to converge under the roof of an inn in Havenfall.

Maddie's uncle is the Innkeeper, a huge responsibility that she one days hopes to take on herself, but when she finds the role thrust upon her under impossible and unpredicted circumstance, it is clear she's not yet been equipped to rise to the occasion.
Her character is young and naïve, too quick to trust, and full of flaws and therefore very believable as a human go between, struggling to keep the peace between these ancient and complex realms.

There's a awful trauma in her past that slowly unfolds throughout the story, allowing us to understand her personal hatred towards the sealed realm of Solaria, and the personal and professional desperation that drives her to keep the door closed.

It's Maddie's perspective from which the story is told, but despite this, I felt like there were a few characters who developed just as much as the story unravelled, and about whom I'm compelled to know more. Taya is an excellent example. I suspected her importance from the moment she was introduced, and I was right, but her position at the end of the book is one I didn't expect!

This is a book that I had assumed to be a stand alone novel, but the closer I got to completion, I realised there were still so many unanswered questions that there would inevitably have to be a follow up book, or possible more than one.
Despite this, I appreciated that there was still a natural conclusion to this section of the story, rather than the book ending on a cliff-hanger. As a reader I felt satisfied with what I already knew, as well as intrigued by what's still to come and be explored.

The magical realism in this book is very carefully crafted. The essence of magic and the presence of magical beings is so consistent throughout that I'm only now considering that the story never moved beyond the realm of Haven/Earth.
We were allowed but a brief glimpse through the door to another realm, revealing "a blazing golden sky and a hill gleaming with buildings", before it was snatched away.
The magic of all the realms congregating in the inn was enough to keep me intrigued throughout this book, but I hope we might get a look at some of the other realms in the sequel. Especially Solaria! 

Sara Holland's sequel, Phoenix Flame will be published in March 2021. Needless to say I'll have it on pre-order and will be ready and waiting to read and review! 

Let me know if you've read this book, and what your thoughts were.
It's certainly made it onto my list of favourite publications from 2020.

Zuzu 🖋

Find me in-between blogs across social media @zuzuspages on Instagram Facebook Twitter and Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment