March 16, 2020

...(book review) the starless sea by erin morgenstern

When Zachery Rawlins stumbles across a strange book hidden in his university library it leads him on a quest unlike any other. Its pages entrance him with their tales of lovelorn prisoners, lost cities and nameless acolytes, but they also contain something impossible: a recollection from his own childhood...

THE STARLESS SEA by Erin Morgenstern
Published: Nov 2019
Genre:  YA Fantasy Fiction. Adventure. Romance Fantasy.
My rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Here is a book that went to the top of my TBR pile the moment I obtained it. I've been lusting after a new read from Erin Morgenstern since I read the very last word of The Night Circus in 2011. And The Starless Sea certainly did not disappoint!!!
Set between our world and a fantastical underground (hence starless) land of books and magic, The Starless Sea is a book lovers' dream.
It combines everything I love: fantastic characters, engaging plots, multiple stories, mysterious books, repetitive themes and imagery (keys, swords, bees) carefully interwoven, libraries, cats, brilliant writing, and a ending that did not disappoint.

It irks me when a story is so well told and unravelled, but then is concluded by an author with too much haste, but I didn't feel this from The Starless Sea.
Erin Morgenstern's writing is brilliantly paced; I devoured this book in two days, then wished I hadn't because I was sorry it was over.

The phrase don't judge a book by it's cover is completely lost on me. How could you not look at the cover of The Starless Sea and not be instantly drawn in? The brilliant thing about this cover art is that it becomes more revealing as you progress through the story. I think it's wonderful.

Inside Cover Art
As always, it's very difficult to review a book without spoiling the story, and I've no desire to take anything away from your experience and first impression of  The Starless Sea. I urge you only to obtain a copy and to read it immediately! I know it's only March, but this book will surely be one of my top reads for this year.

A little update on my Self Inflicted 50 Book Challenge:
This was my 6th book on my quest to 50 by the end of 2020 (see my ...precocious little book challenge (2019 edition) blog for further explanation.) I'm now on my 9th read, and once again failing to stay on target - oops! Better get reading!

Until next time,
~ Zuzu 📚

find me on Facebook @zuzuspages and Instagram @zuzuspages for updates on writing/reading challenges, and book related content!

#thestarlesssea #erinmorgenstern #bookreview #bookblog #reading #fiction #reviews #books 

1 comment:

  1. Joanne AndersonMarch 21, 2020 3:21 pm

    This book sounds wonderful, thanks for the review. Now I can't wait to read it!! xx

    ReplyDelete