March 23, 2020

...tiptoeing into spring

The crocuses have reared their heads, the daffodils have endured the wind and the rain we battled for a few weeks here in jolly old blighty, and the snowdrops have waited patiently for snow, only to be disappointed when none arrived.
It's fair to say we're tentatively, trepidatiously, tiptoeing into Spring...

It's sad to think that some people are missing this beautiful transition whilst in self-isolation, and only seeing its beauty through a window. Still, I suppose sunshine is a better mood lifter than rain, even if you're stuck indoors.

Personally, the weather doesn't affect me. Come rain or shine, I bide by the conviction that books are the best thing to get your mind off anything unpleasant. They're the most effective form of escapism, and so, I've spent the past few days re-reading The Secret Garden and pretending that Spring is the only thing on the horizon!

Why am I blogging about Spring?
The season's have become very pertinent to one of my current writing projects (yes, projects plural - I'm in possession of a great deal of free time at the moment), but they're also important to me in general. I grew up in Vancouver, Canada, where the changing seasons were beautiful and evident on the mountain tops and in the trees. I love the changing moods that come with each season: the new life and spontaneous rains of spring, the blurry haze of summer, the glorious colours of autumn, and the festivities of winter.
Like everyone, I prefer certain seasons (controversially autumn and winter), but I see the potential beauty in them all.

My house is situated in the middle of an old fashioned high street, sandwiched between a river and some fields, both of which have been flooding on and off for many weeks now (don't worry, we have effective flood gates!) I've been enjoying muddy walks through muddy fields, à la Elizabeth Bennet in Pride & Prejudice: "Elizabeth continued her walk alone, crossing field after field at a quick pace, jumping over styles and springing over puddles with impatient activity." Thank you Jane Austen! "I did not want to avoid the walk. The distance is nothing when one has a motive..."
Walking has been great for blowing off the cobwebs and keeping me clear headed for writing.

When the weather gets warmer (and dryer), I like the idea of taking to the fields to sit and write or read for an hour or so.
As much as I love my desk, and it will forever remain my favourite writing nook, I also like a fresh perspective and scenery to look at on occasion. Last summer, there was a shorn field filled with perfect haybales that made for brilliant thrones upon which to sit and contemplate (and later regret, because hay gets everywhere!) I look forward to forgetting that, and re-enacting the itchy hay dance again this year.

I'm a pluviophile; by definition, a lover of rain, so for now I'm content to enjoy the spring and eagerly await the oncoming April showers! Umbrellas and wellies at the ready (as long as we're still allowed outdoors. Darn potential lockdown, and Corona restrictions!)

Wishing you all a slightly belated Spring Equinox! The official date was Friday 20th March, and I hope you've all managed to get outside beneath these beautiful blue skies we've been experiencing here in England.

Until next week everyone, find me on Facebook @zuzuspages and Instagram @zuzuspages for regular writing/reading updates and book related posts.

Zuzu 🖋

#lockdownreadinglist #author #thesecretgarden #springequinox #zuzuspages

No comments:

Post a Comment