March 30, 2020

...faith, and trust and pixie dust

I've decided "faith, and trust and pixie dust" is the best recipe literature can supply for staying positive in trying times. Thank you J.M Barrie!

Wherever you are in the world right now, I hope you're safe and well and staying positive. There's a lot of uncertainty floating around, especially now most of the world is locked down, and I've escaped it by climbing between the pages of books to keep me sane. "Reading gives you someplace to go when we have to stay where we are." ~ Mason Cooley.

To anyone who's struggling with current circumstance, I encourage you to grab hold of a good book - an old familiar one, with a strong spine and a story that will wrap you up like a warm blanket and keep you safe.

Classic children's stories are the warmest blankets I own. True, they're tainted with darkness, but the hope they bring is more contagious than any virus. And since it's International Children's Book Day this Thursday (Apr 2nd), I thought I'd share a few of my favourite middle grade reads with you. I hope they can provide some light relief from the madness:

1. Hans Christian Andersen's POPULAR FAIRY TALES. International Children's book day coincides with Hans Christian Andersen's birthday each year, and I honestly do love his stories. They're still so well known today. The Little Mermaid, The Princess and the Pea, Thumbelina, The Ugly Duckling...but my personal favourite is The Nightingale.

2. ALICE IN WONDERLAND by the wacky and wonderful Lewis Carol. Respect the classics everyone!

3. PETER PAN & WENDY by J.M Barrie, the author that inspired today's blog title. This is one of those stories that is intended for children, but of course I love it because it has that niggling undertone of darkness that keeps us interested as adults.

4. Lemony Snicket's A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS. Brilliant book series. Brilliant Netflix series. Brilliant film. Need I say more?

5. THE WIZARD OF OZ by L. Frank Baum and all the subsequent books. If you haven't read them, please treat yourself immediately to a trip over the rainbow.

6. THE SPIDERWICK CHRONICLES by Holly Black & Tony DiTerlizzi. There is also a great film adaption of this book if you're starved for entertainment.

7. TOM'S MIDNIGHT GARDENS by Phillipa Pearce.

8. CORALINE by Neil Gaiman.

9. THE SECRET GARDEN by Frances Hodgson Burnett. Another classic, and a book I've re-read this month to lift my spirits. A LITTLE PRINCESS also by Frances Hodgson Burnett is another of my favourites.

10. THE DIVIDE by Elizabeth Kay. I'm a fantasy lover and this is the go-to fantasy book that I always recommend to anyone asking for middle grade reading suggestions. No spoilers, but I was gripped the first time I read it...and I still am now!

11. THE RAILWAY CHILDREN by Edith Nesbit.

12. THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK. Perhaps a heavy topic in our current situation, it does also shed a sobering perspective on what it is to stay inside for days on end.

13. ANNE OF GREEN GABLES by Lucy Maud Montgomery and subsequent books.

14. LITTLE WOMEN by Louisa May Alcott, and the lesser known, but equally lovable AN OLD FASHIONED GIRL by Louisa May Alcott.

15. GIRL OF INK AND STARS by Kiren Millwood Hardgrave. Another fantasy novel I've read this year. It's a quick paced story and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Obviously there are so many more out there, but these are the few that have stuck with me and will always be my favourites. Let me know if you'd add any to the list!

Until next time, find me on Facebook @zuzuspages and Instagram @zuzuspages for bookish and writing updates!
Stay safe everyone!

Zuzu 🖋

#internationalchildrensbookday #hanschristianandersen #childrensliterature #childrensbooks #books #bookblogs #bookbloger #bookstagram #instabooks #bookreview #children #MG #middle grade #zuzuspages

1 comment:

  1. Great recommendations and love the magical theme��

    ReplyDelete