April 13, 2020

...a spectrum of books

Rainbows have become something of an inspirational symbol throughout this pandemic; people are posting them on social media to support the key workers, and children are hanging them in windows to make others smile when passing by. They're the ultimate symbol of hope, so often appearing with the sunshine after the rain - and I for one have chosen to embrace this spectrum of positivity in every aspect. Including in books!

Lockdown has afforded me ample time to read, and so I've been making the most of the weather,  sitting in my little garden and making my way through an array of colourful covers. I started so productively. Week one of Lockdown, I devoured three books, The Secret Garden, Waiting For Godo and The Catcher In The Rye. But in week two, I barely read half a book. The reason being that I can't seem to fall in love with the genre. The Savage Garden by Mark Mills is a 'hugely atmospheric murder mystery' set in Tuscany 1958...or so says the back cover. There's no denying it's well written, and very descriptive. You can almost feel the heat of the town leaping off the page. But the pace is slow, and honestly I'm not enraptured by the plot, or the characters.
I don't like to besmirch books simply because they're not my cup of tea, so don't let me discourage you from reading this one if it takes your fancy. I firmly believe that every author is worthy of being published because there is an audience for every written work. I'm persevering because I'm hoping a snag in the plot is coming up that will capture my attention and soothe my mild curiosity as to where the story is going. It takes a lot for me to abandon a book mid-read.

This year, I've tried to expand my reading horizons to encompass different genres: autobiographies, plays, middle grade fiction, coming of age fiction (so far). But the magnetism of magic and fantasy always reels me back like a fish on a hook. I'm taunted daily by the next book on my TO READ pile. I've said before that the phrase, "don't judge a book by it's cover" is completely lost on me, and The Deathless Girls by Kiran Millwood Hargrave is a prime example! It has a cover that makes my fingers itch to open it! It's ripe with colour and intrigue and I so want to be done with my current book to read the next!!

So whilst everyone is stuck in lockdown, I though I'd create a rainbow of book that have lived up to their expectations and my judgement of their covers - all fantasy/fairy-tale/magical genres in case anyone is looking for recommendations. These are all books I've read in the past six months, and loved!

RED : The Girl In Red by Christina Henry - one of those brilliant twists on a fairy tale. Red Riding Hood in case you hadn't guessed. I picked this one because it very aptly takes place during a pandemic, so if you're in the right head space to read this, I thoroughly recommend.

ORANGE : The Burning Page by Genevieve Cogman - the third book in The Invisible Library Series. All are incredible and I have more on my to read pile.

YELLOW : The Girl of Ink and Stars by Kiran Millwood Hardgrave. This one is a middle grade fantasy, but at the age of 26 I solemnly swear that I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's quick paced and well charactered.

GREEN : The Way Past Winter by Kiran Millwood Hargrave. Again! This was the first book I read by this author, and clearly it encouraged me to read more of her work! I read it over Christmas when I'm at my busiest with work, and this was a nice escape in the evenings and book I looked forward to returning to.

BLUE : The Beasts Heart by Leife Shallcross. The first and only book I've read from this author, but I'd love to read more! It's a very magical twist on Beauty and the Beast, but told from the Beast's perspective.

INDIGO (kind of) : Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman. Another of my favourite authors. I've actually got a book review planned for one of her books in a later blog. Practical Magic ticked all the right boxes for me. I suppose it would be classed as magical realism, where the magic takes places in our world, rather than in a fantastical land that exists in the minds of authors and the ink from their pens.

VIOLET : Spindles End by Robin McKinley. A spin on Sleeping Beauty and a very magical one at that. I love this author too, and I thoroughly recommend his work.

I could come up with a book to represent every colour in between I'm sure, but for now that's my rainbow of recommendations!
I hope you enjoy! Let me know if you read, or have already read any of them - and tell me your thoughts. I love a good book discussion.

Until next week!
Zuzu 🖋

Find me on Facebook @zuzuspages and Instagram @zuzuspages for daily book, writing and blogging updates ~

#lockdownreadinglist #booksfordays #readinginlockdown #reading #rainbow #lockdown2020 #uklockdown #lockdown #stayhomeandread #recommendedreading #zuzuanderson #author #aspiring author #zuzuspages

1 comment:

  1. Joanne AndersonApril 15, 2020 2:02 pm

    Really love this, a spectrum of colour, positivity and making me literally want to read rainbow. Your writing style is so engaging xx

    ReplyDelete